Self-editing is overrated. Or is it?

Monday, July 24, 2006

OK. So here's what I do.

Hallelujah! I'm online!

My internet has been acting very strange in my NYC place lately, what with the weird power flucuations and all. So! I'm in one of my favorite East Village haunts, the only place where you can get a decent pierogi at 3am: Veselka!

All right, I've had some requests lately for me to post more about the kind of music that I do.

It's funny when people ask me about my music and say "What kind of music do you write?" and I say "All kinds."

"ALL kinds?" people ask incredulously. Yes, all kinds.

You see, I do a new play every week, and at least 50% of the time, I'm composing music for it. This play can be set in any place or any time, and I have to come up with its soundtrack. So whether that's Cuba in the 1820's or England in the 1400's and in America right now, I gotta come up with the music that fits it. Usually for very little money.

Here's some recent examples, put on some headphones and let's take a listen:

You remember me posting a few days ago about "Hardball"? This is the curtain call which actually emcompasses several styles heard through the play - electronica, hip-hop and rock. I have to say I really like it.


That Oscar-winning documentary that I scored called "A Note Of Triumph"? Completely different. A brilliant string quartet doubled to sound like an orchestra.


That show I took to the Royal Shakespeare Company in England? "Henry IV"? Huge thundering drums of war mixed with some serious Conan The Barbarian types of arrangements for orchestra. This was a lot of fun.



That last show in NYC with the super-cool playwright? "Splitting Infinity"? Atmospheric vibes to represent the stars and mournful cello to represent the weight of wisdom and age.


And finally, who could forget The Stalk from the film "Asparagus! A Stalkumentary"? A brand new 70's disco classic about everybody's favorite vegetable in the now-legendary documentary (Playing this Saturday in NYC! Buy tickets now!).



So, anyway, that's my job, this is what I do all day. Every day. I really like it. It's beats working a real job, trust me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you still using the 'I hum it, they'll play it" method or are you using notation software?

7/25/2006 10:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same Oscar-winning documentary that Cinemax is starting to broadcast on Thurs. 27 July ?

7/26/2006 7:18 AM

 
Blogger Lindsay Jones! said...

Hi yes, I'm still just humming. No music notation on any of these tracks.

Yes, this is the same documentary that will be shown on Cinemax. Please catch it if you can, it's really great.

Click here and read my posting about attending the premiere.

7/26/2006 10:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google
 
Web hellifiknowblog.blogspot.com

Example