Self-editing is overrated. Or is it?

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The upside of Creationism...

Recent news about the avian flu virus has raised concerns from Main Street to the White House. There is the possibility, even likelihood, that the virus will mutate into a form that can more easily infect humans. As the President pointed out, a vaccine cannot be made until this evolution occurs. This raises the concern that it may be impossible to create enough vaccine fast enough to protect all our citizens.

But there is hope. Gallup polls tell us that up to 45 percent of Americans don't believe in evolution. Since random mutation is the engine of evolution, these same people must believe that the virus cannot mutate. Therefore, there is no need to waste vaccine on folks who believe there is no possible threat to themselves -- thus leaving a sufficient supply for the rest of us.

Perhaps the President, given his doubts about evolution, may wish to demonstrate his leadership by foregoing vaccination.

This approach has added benefits. Polls also tell us that disbelief in evolution is more pronounced among the less educated, the poor and conservatives. If the anti-evolutionists among these groups were to opt out of vaccination then, through immediate deaths and natural selection, we would reduce poverty, raise educational attainment, and become a more progressive society.

George R. Zug
Smithsonian Institution, Division of Amphibians & Reptiles/mrc162


....although this letter is now actually believed to be written by Steve Anderson of Arroyo Grande, CA.

Or, as Tina Fey put it on a recent Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live, "A recent poll showed that 66% of Americans think that President Bush is doing a poor job in Iraq, while the other 34% think Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs to church."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Avian Flu Virus said...

I find your posts intriguing. Informative as well. I had been searching for avian flu msnbc.msn.com msnbc.msn.com site site when I landed here. Always good to find others interested in the same thing as my site avian flu msnbc.msn.com msnbc.msn.com site site

1/01/2006 4:18 AM

 
Anonymous Avian Flu Virus said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. I found you while searching for avian bird canada flu. I have a site on avian bird canada flu located here, avian bird canada flu Maybe you can stop by sometime.

1/01/2006 4:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google
 
Web hellifiknowblog.blogspot.com

Example