Self-editing is overrated. Or is it?

Friday, May 05, 2006

Hey, turn that off for a minute, will ya?



Hi.

How are you?

No, really, how are you?

Me? Well....

I won't lie. It's been a hard couple of days. In 48 hours, I wrote and recorded 6 hours of orchestral music score for a play. It's hard to describe to you how much work that is, but you know that phrase "Rome wasn't built in a day"? Well, THIS was building Rome in a day, as well as the Vatican and Athens and the Lower East Side.

But somehow I got it done. And I was really excited about it.

So the core of this thing was this battle sequence, which is this huge epic section, and, to make a long story short, last night it was cut. 72 hours after it was just a thought in my head, it's now all gone. It was really disappointing.

Now, these things happen. I'm very aware of this. It's happened to me before, it will happen to me in the future. It's fine, really.

But, ya know..... I was just a little down.

SO! This morning, I was determined to not be depressed when I got to work. I got a good night's sleep, had some food, walked outside in this sunshiney day, got in my car and put this on:



It's Disney Bossa Nova! And you know what? I feel much better!

This album is the brainchild of Japanese bossa nova fanatic Yoshiro Nakamura who somehow assembled some of Brazil's top bossa artists and put together a really lovely record. This is true bossa style too, all the lyrics are in Portugese. But the real achievement is the re-invention of some of Disney's great (and not so great - go dig up that copy of your "Pete's Dragon" LP to see what I'm talking about) songs.

ANYWAY! So I put this on and I feel much better now. Now I wanna share it with you, so if you're ever having a crappy day, you can feel better too.

Here! Take a listen to the Cinderella classic "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" and see what I mean:




Nice, huh? I can't tell you what a difference it made today.

OK, I would be truly remiss if I did not also post this (if only for my friend Alex who would demand it be posted if I didn't). It's "Cruella Deville" or "Cruella Cruel", as they say in Brazil:




So, ok, life goes on, right? Absolutely.

Thank god for bossa nova.

1 Comments:

Blogger Victoria (toy) DeIorio said...

I completely understand and sympathize. I have an Uncle Vinny if need be....

5/04/2006 10:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google
 
Web hellifiknowblog.blogspot.com

Example