Self-editing is overrated. Or is it?

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Would you like to know who people are gonna be freaking out about in 6 months?

So, ok, I watched the Grammys. They were ok.

For the Grammys, this is a massive step forward. Usually, they're fucking terrible. But this Grammy was better than most, because, surprise surprise, they honored some great musicians from the past and those people sound better than most of what's out there at the moment.

The Police sounded great, I predict that they're gonna sell out that world tour in about 5 seconds. The Chili Peppers finally got some well deserved recognition, albeit 15 years too late. Smokey Robinson sounded good, but jesus, that guy has had more botox than Joan Rivers. Smokey! Baby! We can't see the tracks of your tears if your face can't move when you cry!

The newer artists, on the other hand, let me down (Gnarls Barkley notwithstanding). Like, I'm sorry, having the Black Eyed Peas honoring Booker T and The MG's merely points out the many reasons why the Black Eyed Peas will never have the musical legacy of the MG's. I mean, I gotta tell you, people, I listen to new music every day and I can't tell ya how much of it isn't that exciting anymore.

What summed it up for me at the Grammys was the performance of John Legend, Corrine Bailey Rae, and John Mayer. Of these three, I like John Mayer the best, although I have to say that he seems on a mission to make his music less interesting with each album. HEY JOHN! Meet me at camera 3.

Look, John. You're talented. You're a good songwriter. You need to do two things for me right now. Number one: get the hell away from Jessica Simpson. Number two: stop trying to be Eric Clapton. Seriously. I know it sounds like a good idea, but the bottom line is that Eric Clapton has not made an interesting album in 30 years. But people love him because he made that album way back then. You have not made that album. Do not start sucking until AFTER you make that album. Please. It's the only fair thing for all of us involved.

But seriously, we were lucky John Mayer was up there, compared to the other two up there with him. Can somebody explain to me what the hell is so exciting about John Legend? People are always like "John Legend is bringing back the sexy soul singer." HEY LOOK. JOHN LEGEND IS AS SEXY AS A GLASS OF MILK. THAT'S IT. IT'S NOT HAPPENING.

And Corrine Bailey Rae? OK. That tears it. I am tired of these singers coming up, they get the spotlight, and THEY GOT NO PERSONALITY.

Just forget about Corrine Bailey Rae, ok? She's not gonna get more interesting. But I do have an alternative for you.



There's this singer named Amy Winehouse. In 6 months from now, I predict she's gonna be huge. That is, if she doesn't kill herself before then.

She literally has everything going against her. She's from England. She's got drug/alcohol problems. She's got an eating disorder. She's already gotten in fights with the UK press. She's good-looking, but also honestly kinda looks like a drag queen. In general, she's really troubled.

Which, of course, means that her music is really phenomenal and that she will become the next big thing, if she doesn't fuck it up somehow.

What's so great about her music? Well, guess what! She sounds like she's making music circa 1965. Yes, it sounds retro-Motown, but it feels really honest. I gotta tell ya, I'm one skeptical guy for this kind of thing, and you know what? I bought it. I'm in.

Here, see if you don't agree. This is the video for her new single "Rehab".



Here are some other tracks for you to listen to:

"You Know I'm No Good"

"Love Is A Losing Game (acoustic version)"

and of course, my favorite track of all (for totally obvious reasons): "Me And Mr Jones"!

Not bad, huh? Come on, Amy! Don't die on us before you hit it big. I watched the Grammys tonight, and lord knows, we need somebody like you bad.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other Grammy highlights: Christina Aguilera ripping through some JB. The gal can really perform and has a great set of pipes. Also, the Dixie Chicks prevailing mightily against the Bush backlash and Natalie Maines quoting the Simpsons' "HA-ha!". Priceless. The rest, eh.
P.S. Second generation Genesis is also reuniting for a tour. Whoo.

2/13/2007 3:32 PM

 
Blogger Lindsay Jones! said...

Ay yi yi, that Christina Agulilera. See, that's my problem right there.

YES, she can sing. She's talented. But hey! Go fuck up your own songs!

See, James Brown was not just a great singer because of his voice, it was because of his incredible passion and stage charisma. When I see somebody like Xtina just giving that song the "Star Search" treatment, it just shows how people are missing the point on what makes a good singer. It's not just about the pipes, it's also about the point of view. Her version sounded good, but it was just gymnastics, there was NO SOUL!

And I'm just like "people, please! Just let James Brown rest in peace!"

You see what I'm saying?

2/14/2007 1:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google
 
Web hellifiknowblog.blogspot.com

Example