Self-editing is overrated. Or is it?

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Let's talk about my new computer!

Oh my god, this day has finally come. I have a new computer.

Let's talk about this for a second.

Below is my old computer.

















It's Mac Powerbook Pismo G3. It was manufactured in the year 2000. You heard me. 2000. Now I haven't had this particular one since 2000. Oh no. This is my sixth one. You heard me. Sixth.

Now, why, you may ask, have I stuck with this particular model so long? Well, for one thing, it's built like a tank. It can really take a beating. It's black, which is cool. But the biggest reason is that I can run OS 9 on it. That's right.







I am the last human being on this earth running OS 9.


Oh, I heard all the jokes. "Hey, Carrie Bradshaw, when you gonna upgrade your computer?" Followed by snickering and pointing! I SAW IT! I'M NOT BLIND!

You see, you get a certain way of working that works, and naturally you wanna stick with what works! That's not so crazy, right?

BUT! All things must change eventually, and the time had come for me as well. I needed to finally upgrade to OS X and get a decent machine from this century.

Fortunately, a couple of months ago, I met an EXTREMELY nice guy from Apple who offered to help me get a new computer at a discount. I met him at a 4 year old's birthday party. There were approximately 100 children in some sort of birthday-cake-driven mosh pit of bicycles and wagons, and there was a collection of dads trying not to look involved over on the side. Most were talking about sports, but there was this one guy who was very friendly, and we struck up a conversation. Next thing I know, I'm grilling him on the employee discount and he mentions 25%. 25%! HOLY CRAP! I practically jumped in his lap! He ultimately agrees, god bless him, and I'm on the list for the new MacBook Pros!

SO! Check it out! I got the new MacBook Pro 17" with 100GB hard drive @ 7200rpm.




Oh, did I mention? It's Ferrari Red!!! No, you're not going crazy, that is the actual color. It's a custom paint job from Colorware in Minnesota, and I have to say that they did a fantastic job. It looks sensational, and the compliments have been non-stop.

OK, I have to say that OS X has been really easy to adjust to so far, but I haven't really done anything too intense yet for work, so I will let you know about that soon.

But I have to say it's been so cool to embrace my inner computer nerd after so long! I'm reading Mac World again, I'm looking up new shareware, I'm visiting bulletin boards about inside Mac information! It's been so long that I've been living in isolation that I totally forgot how much fun it is to be a genuine super computer nerd again! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

But here's the coolest part! As it turns out, there is a way to run OS 9 on an Intel Mac! There's a new emulator that you can run on the Intel machines called Sheep Shaver (would I make a name like that up?) that allows you to run your old OS9 stuff on it! Here, take a look!



Follow this link for more info.

As my friend who follows this kind of thing said to me "That is the single stupidest thing that I have ever seen."

Well, maybe. But now I can be both on the bleeding edge and hopelessly stuck in the past at the same time! It's a dream come true.

Well, it is for me.

I SEE YOU LAUGHING OVER THERE! I'M NOT BLIND!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I say Bravo! And the Ferrari red definitely suits you--you wild and crazy guy. Congrats and may you write many a fine composition on it.

Love,
Mimsie

12/28/2006 7:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'bout flippin' time!
Jeez, even SCR updates computers faster than that... well... sometimes.

So, does ProTools run on os9 emulated? Is it asking for a floppy? Or did you make the plunge and get new Digi hardware? Or logic?

12/28/2006 1:34 PM

 
Blogger Jeanne said...

can i just say...that's you're not the only person that's running os 9...i know one other person that was and he just recently swapped over to os 10. but not the current one., my first boss in sound. yeah. .....why is my name already like an identity...weird.

1/11/2007 10:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google
 
Web hellifiknowblog.blogspot.com

Example